- I am supported by people who see me as a unique person with strengths, abilities and aspirations.
- I am supported by people who listen carefully so they know what matters to me and how to support me to live the life I want.
- I am supported to make decisions by people who see things from my point of view, with concern for what matters to me, my wellbeing and health.
- I have considerate support delivered by competent people.
- We don’t make assumptions about what people can or cannot do and don’t limit or restrict people’s options.
- We see people as individuals with unique strengths, abilities, aspirations and requirements and value people’s unique backgrounds and cultures.
- We know how to have conversations with people that explore what matters most to them – how they can achieve their goals, where and how they live, and how they can manage their health, keep safe and be part of the local community.
- We have a ‘can do’ approach which focuses on what matters to people and we think and act creatively to make things happen for them.
- We keep up to date with local activities, events, groups and learning opportunities and share this knowledge so that people have the chance to be part of the local community.
The I and We format is really helpful, as it will help front line staff translate principles into practice in a very tangible way.Jane Lawson, Local Government Association