Filter by:

What do these titles mean?

Strategic bodies: organisations that set national policy, based on legislation passed by government.

Regularoty bodies: have authority in law to ensure the standards set are achieved and can take enforcement action.

Advisory bodies: organisations with specific knowledge or expertise that give advice and opinion supporting policy and /or design standards.

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

Regulator of quality

CQC is an independent body accountable to the Secretary of State for Health and Government. It is responsible for the regulation of all care services in England, including hospitals, care homes, GP surgeries and dental surgeries.

There are three divisions in CQC - Social Care, GP and dental surgeries and hospitals. However, NHS Trust hospitals are also regulated by Monitor as well as CQC, so the two organisations work closely together for hospital inspection.

New Fundamental Standards of Quality and Safety come into force in social care in April 2015 and providers must meet these. CQC also inspect some services for young people moving into adulthood that remain in education (such as those provided in educational campuses or residential colleges).

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Regulator of quality

HSE is the national, independent watchdog for work-related health, safety and quality standards. It acts in the public interest to reduce work-related death and serious injury across Great Britain's workplaces including Health and Social Care. HSE has powers of prosecution for breaches of Health and Safety Law. Accidents and safety issues for people who receive health or social care support are also covered by the HSE and there are a range of reporting mechanisms for this.


Regulator of quality

Monitor is the Regulator for NHS Trusts in England. It ensures essential services are maintained, well led and that Trusts meet standards.

Monitor has the power to directly intervene in NHS services where they are seriously failing - Special Measures. Monitor have a complimentary relationship with CQC and NHS England and have partnership agreements outlining how they work together.

Office for Standards in Education, children's services and skills (OFSTED)

Regulator of quality

Ofsted regulate and inspect services that care for children. Providers of social care need to know about Ofsted if working with young people who are growing into adulthood (transition). It may be a requirement that you register with both Ofsted and CQC for services depending upon the age of the young people you work with.