Useful reading material on social capital for those wanting to look deeper into its origins includes:
- The forms of capital in J.E. Richardson (ed.) Handbook of theory for research in the sociology of education, Westport, C.T.: Greenwood Press. Bourdieu, P. (1986)
- Assessing social capital: concept, policy, practice, Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press. Edwards, R., Franklin, J., Holland, J. (2007) (eds).
- Social justice and the politics of community, Aldershot: Ashgate. Everingham, C. (2003)
- An appropriate capital-isation? Questioning social capital, Research in Progress, Issue 1 (Special Issue), Gender Institute, London School of Economics. Fine, B. (2001) 'It ain't social and it ain't capital', in G. Morrow (ed.)
- Social capital: a theory of social structure and action, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Lin, N. (2001)
- It's not what you've got but what you do with it. Women, social capital and political participation', in B. O'Neill and E. Gidengil (eds) (2006) Gender and social capital, London: Routledge.
- Lowndes, V. (2006)
- Social capital: its origins and applications in modern sociology, Annual Review of Sociology, 24(1): 1-24. Portes, A. (1998)
- Gender and social capital, London: Routledge. O'Neill, B. and Gidengil, E. (eds) (2006)
- Two concepts of social capital: Bourdieu vs. Putnam, paper presented at ISTR Fourth International Conference 'The Third Sector: for what and for whom', Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, July 5-8. Siisiäinen, M. (2000)
- Formations of class and gender, London: Sage. Skeggs, B. (1997)
- Trust, social capital and the economy, in F. Tonkiss and A. Passey (eds) Trust and civil society, London: Macmillan Press. Tonkiss, F. (2000)
- Toward a Definition of the Coproduction Concept Export, by: Jeffrey L. Brudney, Robert E. England. Public Administration Review, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 59-65.
- Diverse communities: the problem with social capital, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Arneil, B. (2006)
Bates P & Davis FA (2004) Social capital, social inclusion and services for people with learning disabilities. Disability and Society19, 3: 196-207